Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Time to let go

• Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:23 AM, PDT
I sit here after a long day of keeping close to Michael, and tending to his needs. Michael is no longer able to communicate, other than an occasional whispered word, or motion of his right hand. He sleeps for most of the day, yet will open his eyes to gaze upon us. At times he reaches out for an embrace, which fills my heart with the purist of love.

Yesterday the kids and I spent the afternoon and evening gathered around Michael. I taught the kids how to care for him, and each was able to contribute and show their love. We all had tears in our eyes whenever Michael would awaken, or when he was in distress. It is a day I will always remember, and I know the kids will cherish the memory of our shared caretaking of Michael during this special time.

Having Michael in our lives has truly been an honor. And we consider ourselves equally as honored to be by his side while he begins the process of moving on from this life. Our hearts are breaking, yet we know there is so much more ahead for Michael.

Yesterday I was able to let Michael know that I was ready to let him go. I told him that he was free to move on whenever he felt ready. I wanted him to know that I love him so much, and losing him this early in life is something I never imagined possible. Yet, I say again, I am blessed. What a joy to have Michael as such a significant part of my life. Never did I truly believe that someone would come along and love me the way he has. Saying goodbye to Michael is, and will be, the most painful experience thus far in my life. I have to believe that I will see him again, and I have to believe that part of him will always be with me.

Send him your good thoughts through prayer or meditation. The power of your love will reach him, and each of those beautiful thoughts will help carry him to his next destination.

Love. Dan

1 comment:

  1. My husband passed away 13 weeks ago. Reading your blog is like walking through my own journey again. God, I miss him. We had that "one flesh" love...and were blessed with a three and a half year marriage. Your writings have touched my heart. Just wanted you to know. (Some of my writings are at dawnatwhistlestop.blogspot.com). My heart is on the page too. One day at a time!

    ReplyDelete