Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Hey everyone! Its me, mike, for a change. Dan has the evening off, but will be back on the air next week at his regularly scheduled time. I'm not sure who half of these email addresses represent anymore, but I really appreciate your continued interest in my treatment and support for Dan and me through this process. I've been done with chemotherapy and the radiation treatments for about a week now, and I feel like a dark cloud is clearing and I'm starting to wake up. I'm feeling better each day. Of course, with clarity comes the realization that I've done almost nothing the last three months and my life is a mess, but my favorite saying these days is 'I'll worry about that tomorrow'. (that's my way of slipping in an excuse/apology for not sending out xmas cards, thank you cards or any other type of paper product, but I think of you all often) Unfortunately, the day after tomorrow, Thursday, the chemotherapy starts up again at twice the dosage I was taking before so I may just slip back into my previous tired, oblivious state. Fortunately, this time I will only be taking it five days in a row and then have the rest of each month off. Apparently this process is supposed to continue the rest of my life. What????!! I didn't realize before that chemotherapy could be a life long process. Of course, "life long" has taken on a new meaning for me.

That was today's big question. Dan and I started with a 9am MRI in Redwood City, followed by a 10:30am appointment with my oncologist. This was the first MRI since the chemo, radiation and avastin treatments started so we've been very anxious to get the results. The doc. said the results looked very good. I responded well to the treatments, the tumor seems to have been reduced in spots, and there didn't seem to be any new growth. Its was the first time since the initial diagnosis that I think both Dan and I have felt optimistic. I think we can now move from planning for the next three months to looking at treatment plans for the next three years. Unfortunately, my doc. was quick to point out that with this diagnosis we're not talking about a cure, we're just looking at the possibility of living longer with the tumor if I continue to respond so well to the drugs and not show any signs of neurological damage (he's such a kill joy). But, to cheer us back up he did add that perhaps a cure could be found in the next couple years which would change treatment options. So, my new goal is to live long enough for some brilliant mind out there to find a cure. Now, I know many of you on this list have brilliant minds, so please get to work!

Dan and I will be celebrating the latest MRI results with a little champagne and I hope everyone will join us in a toast to a hopeful and healthy 2008. All the best to everyone and much love from Dan and mike.


No comments:

Post a Comment