Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

This update comes a bit late, and all I can do is blame it on the chaotic times also known as the "holidays." With all the complaining we all do about the preparations for the holidays, when it's all said and done, I must say it was well worth the effort.

Our family spent the weekend before Christmas with Mike's mother, his brother, and all of his brother's family. Mike, my son Remy, and I arrived on Friday early evening with our new puppy in tow. We helped Barbara get the fireplace going, then spent a cozy time eating and relaxing. Of course this is all under the backdrop of Remy and Tessa running around the house with high energy and loud voices. Billie was being the typical pre-teen, with the phone glued to her ear, and her fingers typing away on the computer. She did briefly grace us with her presence during the meal, then was off again. This is what I consider a typical family gathering.

On Sunday Robert and the rest of his family arrived so that we could all be present for a delicious Christmas dinner prepared by Barbara. Gifts were exchanged, and Michael was presented with the gift of a star being named after him. I'm not talking about a rock-star, I'm talking galaxies away, big bright rock in the sky kind of star. This unique gift came from him big brother Robert. This tough guy continues to amaze me with showing his sensitive side by reaching out to Michael throughout this.

On Christmas Eve we were back in San Francisco, as Mike had a radiation appointment first thing that morning. From there we were off to San Rafael to pick up my son Dante so that he could spend a few days celebrating Christmas with us. That afternoon we waited for my daughter, Arianne to arrive home from work, then had our Mexican Christmas Eve tradition of hot chicken tamales. These were not store bought tamales, they were the authentic thing, made by the loving hands of my mother Flavia, who lives in So. California. To our great surprise she had four dozen tamales Fed Exd overnight to our home. Before eating we lifted a glass to Grandma Cano for our wonderful meal. The rest of the evening was spent eating far too much sweets, drinking hot cocoa with way to many marshmallows, and watching both It's a Wonderful Life and Meet Me In St. Louis. All of this while Mike and I quietly wrapped gifts once the kids had nodded off.

The next morning we quickly got off to church, where our non-traditional family was asked to bring up the gift of bread and wine for communion during the mass.

After Christmas was over, Mike had only two radiation appoints left, so on December 27th he finally completed the six week combined treatment of Radiation and Chemotherapy.

In all I must say that Mike came through all of this in very good shape. Not to downplay the difficult periods, as he certainly suffered side effects and symptoms related to the three treatment modes he is enrolled with. I would say the most difficult concern would be that of increasing fatigue. It often dictated what kind of outings Mike might try to undertake, and sometimes, the consequences of trying to over do things. I Hope that as things now start slowing down, both Mike and I will be able to put some of these worries aside, and plan some of the fun things we enjoyed prior to being invaded by this unwanted tumor.

Today is the beginning of the new year, and very few of us can see what's truly ahead for us. This is why we consistently find ourselves pondering over prior failed new years resolutions. Lets try to have a global resolution that we can each personally participate in. Let us tell each other how much we value each other, and do this while taking very good care of ourselves. If you care for yourself, then you are better able to care for others. I have been taking good care of my Michael, but not of myself. Starting tomorrow morning, I will get the kids off to school, then get my tired old self down to the gym. I will also do my best to drag Michael down there with me.

Next Steps..............On Tuesday, January 8, 2008, Michael will have his follow-up MRI at Kaiser Redwood City. We will immediately meet with his oncologist, Dr. Peak. At that time we will know how much success they had in shrinking or killing off the cancer cells, or minimally, slowing down the tumor's growth. The outcome of these findings will of course dictate the next course of action, which I promise to relay to everyone as quickly as possible.

In closing let me say that I am truly in love with this man, his smile both sets me at ease and fills me with childish laughter. Remember that winning smile before you settle down tonight. Feel his smile radiate over you, and send him your well wishes. Because believe me, if he starts holding back on those smiles over here, you may one day find Little Mr. Lowrie giving those tamales a run for their money, by being FedExed over night to one of your unsuspecting home....!!

It's late at night, and I fear that my writing style may be a bit testy. I can always blame it on the sleeping pill that didn't do its job tonight.

Love to all of you. And a wish for a very loving and joyful New Year.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment